Sunday, January 12, 2014

David encouraged himself in the LORD his God. (1 Samuel 30.6 KJV)

David is a character--a writer--who's always amazed me. In the throes of adversity and despair, he calls out to God regularly. In distress, he cries so vividly that I feel his agony despite the millennia that divide our souls. David experienced plenty of trouble, some clearly of his own making.

Yet hard on the heels of his suffering, he turns without failing to look outside himself, to remember God. That ability to encourage himself, to find strength in the character of God (in His lovingkindness and forgiveness) buoys David's spirit. He dares to hope. His confidence grows so strong that he inspires others (in Psalm 130, David accomplishes the transformation of heart in eight short verses).

Oh, how I wish I possessed the unfailing ability to turn my thoughts to God! Too many times my thoughts stick to me. I bemoan the fact that my writing doesn't catch the eye of an editor or snag the heart of an audience. I despair that I've never really been published (not by a publisher who would actually pay for my work, that is). I, I, I....

As if I am the point of my writing career! And that, you see, is the problem. I am stuck on myself--certainly not very attractive. I need to be like David, who was stuck on God--the Ancient of Days who's infinitely fascinating and so full of goodness and grace that people can't help but wonder at Him or about Him.

Trusting God, as David did, doesn't come naturally. The act of trusting involves the submission of will, of my will to God's. Jesus talked about the simple trust of a child (Mark 10:14-15), and for me, that brings to mind a hymn I learned in my childhood, when my family attended a Missouri Synod Lutheran church.

The little white chapel was relegated to the three-to-five-year-olds. Heavy curtains sectioned off the room into six little classrooms. The light gray curtains with white flowers woven into the pattern did little to muffle the sounds of nearby teachers. I don't remember much about the classes, but afterward, the teachers swept the curtains aside, and we'd meet as a group.

The group leader was a lovely white-haired woman with a round, smiling face. She taught us a hymn, and we'd sing it together. I sang it easily back then. I sang with my whole heart, possibly even at the top of my lungs (as little kids are wont to do):

I am trusting Thee, Lord Jesus,
Trusting only Thee....

Here's the tune:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STQDajJsW30 (the music)


Teach me, Lord, to make much of You!

No comments:

Post a Comment